You’ve read enough information to know that you need a virtual private network (VPN), but you don’t know which service provider is the right choice. With the number of providers available to you, it’s easy to become overwhelmed.
Before you choose a provider, you must determine exactly why you want a VPN. The provider that you choose should be the one that offers the features you need.
1. Unblocking United Kingdom or United States Geo-Restricted Websites
There are several websites that are only available for use to the American or British populations. Sites like Hulu, BBC and Pandora are geo-restricted to these countries. If you are outside of the US or UK and want to access these sites, you need a VPN provider that has servers in one or both of these countries.
Most service providers offer servers in the US and UK. If you are using a US VPN, you’ll want to select one that is closest to you for the best speeds.
- Australia, Asia and East Russia – Choose a server based on the west coast
- Africa or Europe – Choose a server based on the east coast
- Canada or South America – Choosing any server based in the US will net you decent speeds
2. Bypassing Governmental Censorship
If you live in a country like the United States, you do not experience governmental censorship. If, on the other hand, you live in a country like China, you are not able to utilize Skype or Facebook. When you use a US, UK or European VPN, you are able to bypass this censorship with a new IP address.
For the purpose of bypassing censorship, you are most concerned with speed. Choosing a server nearest your location is important.
- Africa – Choose a VPN server on the east coast of the United States or in Europe. The best locations for you are New York, Germany, Netherlands and UK.
- Cuba – Look for a VPN server in Panama or US.
- Asia – If you are located in Asia, find a server on the west coast of the US or one in Hong Kong.
3. Securing Your Connection
When your goal is to protect your privacy and security, the location of the server is not as important as the protocol used. If you are looking for the most secure connection available, choose a VPN service provider or package that utilizes OpenVPN protocol.
Your best choices of VPN service providers for a secure and private connection are typically those located in the United States, Germany, Netherlands, UK or Hong Kong.
4. To Appear in a Particular Country
You may want to use a VPN so that you can access sites specific to a certain country. If that is the case, you will want to choose a VPN service provider that has a server in that specific location. Unfortunately, this option may not net you the fastest speeds, but you will be able to access the websites you desire.Try HideMyAss with 30 Day Money Back Guarantee